Thursday, June 17, 2010

POSSE, Day Three. . .

Learnings:

1. Working in this environment requires a balance between A.D.D. and immersion.
2. I don't have that balance -- at least in this environment. Yet. . .


When we broke into our smaller groups in the afternoon, I re-confrmed that I am not a "chat" guy -- at least not in this environment. Managing windows (literally -- 20+ years of using a Mac had a clear impact on how I was trying to stay organized), managing conversations, using IRC to communicate with people in the room and simply trying to get my head around the problem we needed to address all took a toll. My background is in quality assurance (optimization, standardization of systems), so my natural state was to look at how to improve the functionality of the environment. For Sugar development, the huge disparity in documentation was my big hang-up. As I looked through the Activities pages and wiki support documents, I kept envisioning templated environments where developers played fill-in-the-blank with web forms that would automatically create formatted pages. {sigh} But I'm like that. . .

I also realized that I have way too much on my plate this week to really dedicate the headspace necessary to immerse myself fully in this experience. That too is impacting my uptake of the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment